Pages

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Presbyterian Grunt

I have begun to notice something about Presbyterians which I'm sure many others have noticed before. It occurred to me as I sat in pews at the NEXT Church Conference listening to the many wonderful preachers. As I listened to the inspirational and thought-provoking words I found myself and many others around me making some strange noises. The only word I can find to accurately describe these noises is grunts.

I'm not using this word in the sense of angry baboon grunts or even lonely whale grunts. I'm not talking about a sound that indicates despair or hopelessness. I'm not even talking about the often curious grunts which issue forth as tennis pros whip the ball back and forth. These are grunts which rise in pitch as they issue forth. These are - as best as I can describe - positive grunts.

I found myself wondering what these strange noises mean. What are these strange sounds that can be heard in Presbyterian (and I'm sure other) churches around our country? And most importantly, why have I been making them?

The only explanation I have for these Presbyterian grunts is that we have found a way to exclaim our joy, pleasure, understanding, and appreciation in the least joyful, pleasurable, understandable, or appreciative way possible. While restricting ourselves as much as possible, we have found the Presbyterian version of shouting "AMEN" in the midst of an inspirational sermon. We have also accompanied these grunts with another physical movement: raised eyebrows. Without threatening the sanctity of worship, Presbyterians around the country have found a way to celebrate in worship.
What it feels like.
What it looks like.

It may seem like I am criticizing these celebrations. On the contrary, I am excited that this method of sermon feedback has arisen. As I preach from the pulpit the contemplative silence which I expect to hear after one of my few significant points is surprisingly filled with modest grunts. I am been calmly and carefully reassured that the statement I just made did not offend everyone in the room and that some people believed it was powerful enough to celebrate. 

This is a very good thing. It gives people a chance to play a role in the sermon - albeit a very small role. It gives congregants a chance to shout AMEN! in their own special way. If you are a pastor and your sermon is met with the occasional grunt, congratulations! You have been successful.

I hope that my excitement about this form of praise is so obvious that it is palpable. I hope everyone will feel encouraged to issue forth their own grunts of approval on Sunday mornings. I am so thrilled that we have this avenue of worshiping God vocally that I issue forth my very own *grunt*.

No comments:

Post a Comment