Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Out with the old, in with the new.

As it is the new year now with many exciting new things, I began to reflect on new things. What is new, and what value we give these new things? I'm sure that it is no surprise that our culture seems fascinated by new things. We are excited by new developments, we want to here the "new" news, and we want the newest products, sometimes simply for the fact that they are new. Many large corporations are able to capitalize on this desire for new things.

I have found myself using the "new" word quite a bit the last few weeks. I catch myself in many an introduction saying, "I'm the new associate pastor at First Presbyterian Church in Albemarle." While this is an accurate description, at some point I will no longer be the "new" associate pastor. This is not part of my permanent identity.

While our culture seems to be excited and enthused about new things, the opposite is often true about old things. We are hesitant to rely upon things that are old rather than on things that are new. We see old things as in need of replacement by new things.


As I think about the push and pull of old and new, a sermon from one of my mentors comes to mind. His name is Andrew Taylor-Troutman and he published an excellent book called Take My Hand: A Theological Memoir. The book highlights sermons from his first year of ministry at New Dublin Presbyterian Church (here is a link to his blog). In his first sermon in his new church, Andrew describes the intricate balance between the old and the new that is essential to church life. The past and its traditions are important for the present and should be respected. However, the past should also not be worshiped at the cost of losing our hopes for a changing future.

This balance of tradition and innovation is an important part of our church. We have an extensive and rich tradition which needs to play a part of our lives as people of the great cloud of witnesses that is the church. Yet, especially for people of the Reformed tradition, we feel the need to remain applicable to the changing world around us. This is a balance that defines us and informs our worship, celebration, and faithfulness.

While I am primarily concerned with this balance in my daily planning of worship and church life, this balance has taken on new life for me recently. It has also been fresh in my mind as I have experienced the debates regarding the second amendment over the last days and weeks. In particular, I have heard various camps arguing about what the founding fathers meant or what they didn't mean when they wrote those 27 words. To me, this issue, especially in light of the many recent shootings in our country, can be considered in light of our balance between the old and the new. It is important for us to recognize the tradition of this second amendment while at the same time considering the time and place in which we find ourselves today.

If we allow ourselves the luxury and challenge of this balance between the old and the new, I believe we will be able to honor the tradition which we love and respect while at the same time accepting the challenges that modern life presents. I do not claim to know what this looks like, but it is a challenge that I believe requires thoughtfulness and respect. As Andrew says in the close of his sermon, "Let us pray to strike a balance between the old and the new. Let us pray for the Holy Spirit to bring new life and maintain tradition." Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment