Pages

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas Eve Monologues

These are two monologues I wrote for the late service at First Presbyterian in Albemarle. One of the youth and one of the college students read the parts and I thought they did so marvelously. The Joseph part I wrote out of reflection about his situation. The Mary part is my rewrite of the Magnificat.

Joseph                                 
It seemed as though I figured out how to get by. I figured out what life was all about. I understood
things. My life felt like my wood working. I could build things with my hands and I had total control of
what they looked like. Just like with a piece of wood which I could turn into a table, or a chair, I could
determine how things would work out, and how they would look in the end.

This is how I had control over my life, as well. I figured out how I was going to be able to support myself
and my new wife. I knew what our marriage and our lives would look like. I was just starting to get a grip
on how this whole thing was going to work out when I was thrown off-kilter.

I feel as though I was once standing on solid ground that has been removed. I feel as though I was in a
house that was solidly built, and all of the sudden, the land gave out underneath me. Everything upon
which I had built my life seemed to shift unexpectedly.

The birth of this child is so unexpected. I had this marriage planned out, and everything was going
according to that plan. With all that has happened – the surprise of this pregnancy and the reassurance
of the visit of a messenger – I don’t know where to place my feet next. My path ahead seems veiled. I
don’t know what my next actions should be.

We have come to this town because we were forced to. We find ourselves in this dirty stable because
there was no other choice. Mary lays our child in a feeding trough because there is nowhere else! It feels
like we have no say in this whole thing.

I’ve come to a point where I can no longer resist. I can only be guided, directed, and pushed so many
times before I realize that I am not the one in control. And you know what? I finally realize that that is
a comforting thing. This plan certainly isn’t my plan, but I can tell that Mary has been chosen to mother
this child, and I have been chosen to help her raise him.

What can I do now? Try to care for this child. I can try to comfort and protect this baby. I don’t know
what the messenger meant by saying this child would save his people from their sins, but I know that I
can do my best to protect him.

I don’t know what’s going to happen next, Lord. I don’t know how this whole thing is going to work out,
and I have a feeling it’s not going to be easy. I just ask you to protect us Lord. This is my prayer to you.

Mary
 Oh how my soul magnifies the Lord!

How my spirit rejoices in my God, in my Savior.

Who am I? I must be the least important person God has ever blessed. There are people who are much
holier than me. People who have lived lives more extraordinary than my own! Why is it that God has
seen fit to pick me, out of all the servants of the Lord?

All people, from this point on, will surely call me blessed. God has done such incredible things for me.
How wonderful is God for the gift I have been given. It seems like mercy flows forth to those who trust
in God, and all that is required is our faith!

God has done such incredible things. Those who have thought themselves better and above all the rest
and overly proud in their achievements have been reminded of their place before God.

The Lord has taken those who abuse power and think themselves almighty and removed them from
their high thrones. The downtrodden have been lifted up out of the mud and have been given new
worth.

Those who are hungry, the Lord has fed with many good things, and those who are over-indulgent – God
has sent away empty.

God is present with the people, no matter how far they may stray from the path. There was a promise
made to our ancestors, and this child is the fulfillment of that promise.

But that promise is not coming true into a world that is beautiful and clean. My child is being brought
into a world filled with war and chaos.
My child is being born into a world full of sin.
My baby is being born into a world that will try to kill him.

Lord, please protect my baby. As you have been my guide and my solid place, so guide him. This is my
prayer to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment